The Gospel amazes me because…
- In of the gospel, the God who is eternally happy in his own glorious perfections, chooses to rejoice in the salvation of lumps of clay.
- In the gospel, scoffing rebels are chosen to receive adopting grace.
- In the gospel, God the Son, having unlimited strength, chooses to show his strength by veiling himself in human weakness and dying on a cross.
- In the gospel, the God who knows all the sins I will commit chose to covenant with me that his mercy will be new every morning.
- In the gospel, God’s favor is better than free; it is earned by Another.
- In the gospel, the truth of a heavenly promise is untouched by the worst day on earth.
- In the gospel, the priceless Prince of Heaven trades places with the murderer, the adulterer, the thief, the liar, the tyrant, the coward, the fool, the defiant.
- In the gospel, the Father sent his beloved Son to die and the Son willingly faced heavenly wrath–to save me.
- In the gospel, God teaches me neither to fear condemnation nor to delight in sin.
- In the gospel, my worst and greatest reputation is revealed at the cross–as Newton said, “I am a great sinner, and Christ is a great Savior.” I have no greater shame and no greater glory than this: that Jesus died for me.
- In the gospel, all of heaven’s spiritual benefits are purchased and offered to me daily, hourly, moment by moment—access, peace, hope, joy, power, grace, love, comfort, sight, faith.
The gospel is amazing to me.