Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. Ephesians 6:10-11
In this season of cultural upheaval, economic and physical uncertainty, and political turmoil, we have a clear command from our Lord. We must live in the strength of the Lord and stand in his protection against the wicked schemes of the enemy. One of the ways we can more effectively fight this battle is by remembering that we are in…a battle! And our greatest battle is not against a virus, but against a vicious devil and against the sins of our own heart. Our great enemy is eager to use this moment of “weakness” to prey on our souls and pierce us with his lies or snare us in his hopelessness. Here are a few “flaming darts” that he might try to send our way:
- Your little life and needs will be lost in the middle of all this chaos, you better watch out for number one.
- Evil is going to gain the upper hand in the midst of all of this confusion, you might as well admit it that it’s all pointless.
- Your life is hard, it’s ok to indulge a few sinful urges right now.
NO! The lies of the enemy have never been true and will never be true, and we must stand in the strength OF THE LORD and “put on” the protection of our union with Christ.
- Our great Captain has already defeated the authorities and the powers of evil and one day they will all fall beneath his feet.
- The Father who sacrificed his Son to save us will surely work all things for our good. We have nothing to be worried about.
- My soul finds rest in God alone, and no sin is worth turning away from his glorious face.
Do not be surprised, dear saints, if you find lies like those above darting toward your soul right now. The enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy, and he would love to capture our minds in this season when we are distracted by many troubles. Let us run to the Lord, and receive the strength of his might, and stand in his victory against the lies of the evil one.