Jon Payne preached from Colossians 1:24-29
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints. To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.
- God wants us to see and be reassured of the glory of Jesus Christ so that we will be compelled to testify with fresh conviction that all of our glory is found in Jesus Christ.
- The glory of Jesus is revealed in:
- Suffering with joy for Christ’s body.
- Knowing Christ Jesus, God’s glorious mystery revealed.
- Proclaiming Christ – both ministers and Christians should receive and proclaim the gospel, sustained by God’s strength.
Questions to help us apply the Word:
Treasure – Application to stir our love for Christ
- What does this passage reveal to you about the glory of Jesus?
- How does Paul’s example of love and devotion stir your own affections for Christ?
Reflect – Application to stir our obedience to Christ
- Are you satisfied with your current knowledge of Christ, or your current level of godliness? How can you take steps this week to grow in these areas? How can you help those around you to grow in these areas?
Proclaim – Application to stir our witness for Christ
- As you consider God’s call for us to take risks in our proclamation of the gospel, where do you need the most faith to obey? Will you take time this week to ask God to give you the faith you need to take steps of obedience?
- How have you seen God answer your prayers in the past in this regard? Think on these historically answered prayers as a means of stirring your witness in the future.
Helpful quotes from the sermon:
“His apostolic tasks were not completed with the conversion of men and women. This was only the beginning and the end would not be reached until the day of Christ when the quality of his ministry would be tested.” Douglas Moo
“Although he is aware of the real progress in faith and love the readers have already made, as a true pastor Paul will not be satisfied with anything less than the full Christian maturity of every believer. There are no exceptions, since his aim is that each one should reach perfection. However, this will be fully realized only on the last day.” Peter O’Brien