I am with you always, to the end of the age. Matthew 28:20
For our encouragement and comfort, let’s meditate on this promise one point at a time.
- I...This is the Person who rules the cosmos and who died for sinners. He is divine and human, sympathetic and all powerful. He is the Head of God’s purposes for all of history and the Head of his own dear church.
- Am…His presence with us is not only in the past, at the moment of our conversion, nor only in the future, when he returns, nor only occasionally, as an interest he picks up from time to time. He never has to come to you. He is with you.
- With…He is not only watching us, not only aware of us, not only keeping track of us through his angelic host. He is personally, directly present with his people.
- You…The God of all power and holiness is with his former enemies, made into his brothers and sisters. He knows us; He claims us; He is with us.
- Always….In every season, every temptation, every mundane or mountainous moment, right now and tomorrow, at the funeral and in the hospital, when hopes are green and when winter comes. He never leaves our side.
- To the end of the age…There will never be a generation that Jesus abandons. He was not more with Peter and Paul, or Calvin and Judson, than he is with us. He will not abandon us by His Spirit through every age of the church, until he returns.
This truth should energize faith and banish anxiety. It should motivate holiness and embolden our courage. Every thought and every second, every temptation and every need are in his immediate company. Amen. Thank you, Lord Jesus.